Portrait Artist of the Year comes to Channel 4

For all those who missed it first time around....

Portrait Artist of the Year 2019 (Series 5) comes to Channel 4 tomorrow at 5pm

As a reminder here are all my blog posts about the series written after each episode. 
Each one contains
  • profiles of each artist
  • my observations about the episode and learning lessons for those wanting to have a go in future. For the most part observations are around themes within the series as a whole as opposed to specifically referencing any one sitter(s) in an Episode. 
  • comments on what the judges liked and did not like.
A number of participants have commented to me on how useful they have found my blog posts about the series. Watch the series, read my reviews and observations and make your own mind up!
Painting portraits under glass
The set-up in the glass atrium at the Wallace Collection in the very hot summer of 2018

Proper profiles for participating artists

YET AGAIN No name credits for the artistsBefore I start I just want to note AGAIN that the people at the core of each programme - the artists - who really make it happen do NOT have any name credit at the end of the programme. This is just plain WRONG. Everybody else is completely superfluous without the artists! Review: Episode 1 of Portrait Artist of the Year 2019
I'm very pleased to say that - very probably as a result of my vociferous online campaign for programmes and television producers to identify their artists PROPERLY by name - the website for Portrait Artist of the Year now has profiles for each of of the artist - with

Portrait Artist of the Year 2019: Series 5 - The Episodes 


This series was filmed in the Spring/early summer of 2018 (remember how hot it was?) and was broadcast starting in January this year.

The location is the Restaurant space under the Glass Roof at the Wallace Collection (it closed while the series was filmed). Of course this means we have the equivalent of plein air portrait painting - with the light changing all the time and the area becoming so hot that it affected artists' painting materials, Which probably explains why in April this year we all went down to the Battersea Arts Centre for the filming of Series 6! No more problems with light or too much heat!

A view of the set in Episode 1 - to be broadcast on Saturday 22 June at 5pm

It was a big relief when we got to the Final and I could finally publish my photos taken at the Final which I watched at the National Portrait Gallery in June 2018!

Below
  • the Episode Headings have the names of the sitters
  • READ my Reviews of each episode - but BEWARE obviously the links to the review means that you will find out the names of those shortlisted and the names of the winners - so decide for yourself whether you prefer to watch before or after you read the reviews. 
  • My reviews also include 
    • Observations about learning points
    • what the Judges liked and did not like about various portraits 
WARNING! SPOILER ALERT!!!

  • My blog posts are NOT short - probably best to get a nice hot drink and find a chair... ;)
  • Every post tells you who gets shortlisted and who wins the heat. However I'm not going to tell if you read my review in advance and then surprise your family with astute comments as you watch the programme..... ;) 
  • You MUST stop reading after Episode 8 if you want to be surprised by how people do in the Final and the Semi-Final - because I do name names!

I have to say I actually enjoyed watching episodes MORE the second time around when I knew who had won because I could look more carefully at what was going on - and saw and heard more as a result.

Your choice!
READ MORE......>>
Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url